London Care Services
The Regional Collaborative Arrangement for Commissioning and Procuring Residential and Fostering Services for Looked After Children
London Councils is a joint committee established by the London boroughs and City Councils under sections 101 to 105 of the Local Government Act 1972. It is a cross-party organisation that works on behalf of 32 London Boroughs and the City of London. London Councils run a number of services on behalf of member authorities, including London Care Services (LCS), Freedom Pass, and Taxicard.
LCS was set up in 1999, becoming part of London Councils in 2013 to provide a regional collaborative arrangement for commissioning and procuring residential and fostering services for looked after children. Current members include 29 London Local Authorities (including the City of London) and three neighbouring counties (Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Milton Keynes). Member authorities use LCS register of approved providers to find quality services for looked after children. The register and the collaborative arrangement are open for local authorities and providers to join at any time.
LCS, in their role as authorised local authority agent provide:
· A collaborative arrangement for commissioning services that meet London’s needs and expectations for service quality standards and costs
· A Model Contract with diverse placement types for core and specialist care in fostering and residential provisions (currently there are nine for IFAs and eight for RCHs)
· Access to a pool of high-quality fostering and residential provisions relevant to the needs of children accessing the care system, that offer services assessed against detailed contract service specifications and at an affordable price
· A Contract that supports placement teams to design holistic and bespoke care packages with providers, to meet the needs of every child and achieve positive outcomes
· Training that aims at increasing the effective and efficient use of the Model Contract and improve the expertise of frontline staff in contract management
· Forums to support and provide a platform for members to network and share best practice, collaborative initiatives and discuss operational and strategic topics of relevance to their role and duties
· A secure website to source placements and share information on LCS approved services